Download/Source url :
By Prof. L.Umanand, Principal Research Scientist, Power Electronics Group, CEDT, IISC Bangalore
ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY SYLLABUS :
DC MACHINES : Principle of operation of DC Machines- EMF equation – Types of generators – Magnetization
and load characteristics of DC generators
D.C. MOTORS : DC Motors – Types of DC Motors – Characteristics of DC motors – 3-point starters for DC
shunt motor – Losses and efficiency – Swinburne’s test – Speed control of DC shunt motor – Flux and
Armature voltage control methods.
TRANSFORMERS : Principle of operation of single phase transformer – types – Constructional features –
Phasor diagram on No Load and Load – Equivalent circuit
PERFORMANCE OF TRANSFORMERS : Losses and Efficiency of transformer and Regulation – OC and SC
tests – Predetermination of efficiency and regulation (Simple Problems).
THREE PHASE INDUCTION MOTOR : Principle of operation of three-phase induction motors –Slip ring and
Squirrel cage motors – Slip-Torque characteristics – Efficiency calculation – Starting methods.
ALTERNATORS : Alternators – Constructional features – Principle of operation – Types - EMF Equation –
Distribution and Coil span factors – Predetermination of regulation by Synchronous Impedance Method – OC
and SC tests.
SINGLE PHASE INDUCTION MOTORS : Principle of operation - Shaded pole motors – Capacitor motors, AC
servomotor, AC tachometers, Synchros, Stepper Motors – Characteristics.
ELECTRICAL INSTRUMENTS : Basic Principles of indicating instruments – Moving Coil and Moving iron
Instruments (Ammeters and Voltmeters)
TEXT BOOKS :
1. Introduction to Electrical Engineering – M.S Naidu and S. Kamakshaiah, TMH Publ.
2. Basic Electrical Engineering - T.K. Nagasarkar and M.S.Sukhija, Oxford University Press, 2005
1. Principles of Electrical Engineering - V.K Mehta, S.Chand Publications.
2. Theory and Problems of basic electrical engineering - I.J. Nagarath amd D.P Kothari, PHI Publications
3. Essentials of Electrical and Computer Engineering - David V. Kerns, JR. J. David Irwin