Download/Source url :
By Prof. S. Ghosh,Department of Computer Science & Engineering, I.I.T.,Kharagpur.
INFORMATION SECURITY SYLLABUS :
UNIT - I
Security Attacks (Interruption, Interception, Modification and Fabrication), Security Services
(Confidentiality, Authentication, Integrity, Non-repudiation, access Control and Availability) and
Mechanisms, A model for Internetwork security, Internet Standards and RFCs, Buffer overflow & format
string vulnerabilities, TCP session hijacking, ARP attacks, route table modification, UDP hijacking, and
UNIT - II
Conventional Encryption Principles, Conventional encryption algorithms, cipher block modes of operation,
location of encryption devices, key distribution Approaches of Message Authentication, Secure Hash
Functions and HMAC.
UNIT - III
Public key cryptography principles, public key cryptography algorithms, digital signatures, digital
Certificates, Certificate Authority and key management Kerberos, X.509 Directory Authentication Service.
UNIT - IV
Email privacy: Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and S/MIME.
UNIT - V
IP Security Overview, IP Security Architecture, Authentication Header, Encapsulating Security Payload,
Combining Security Associations and Key Management.
UNIT - VI
Web Security Requirements, Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS), Secure
Electronic Transaction (SET).
UNIT - VII
Basic concepts of SNMP, SNMPv1 Community facility and SNMPv3.
Intruders, Viruses and related threats.
UNIT - VIII
Firewall Design principles, Trusted Systems. Intrusion Detection Systems.
TEXT BOOKS :
1. Network Security Essentials (Applications and Standards) by William
Stallings Pearson Education.
2. Hack Proofing your network by Ryan Russell, Dan Kaminsky, Rain Forest
Puppy, Joe Grand, David Ahmad, Hal Flynn Ido Dubrawsky, Steve
W.Manzuik and Ryan Permeh, wiley Dreamtech
1. Fundamentals of Network Security by Eric Maiwald (Dreamtech press)
2. Network Security - Private Communication in a Public World by Charlie
Kaufman, Radia Perlman and Mike Speciner, Pearson/PHI.
3. Cryptography and network Security, Third edition, Stallings, PHI/Pearson
4. Principles of Information Security, Whitman, Thomson.
5. Network Security: The complete reference, Robert Bragg, Mark Rhodes,
6. Introduction to Cryptography, Buchmann, Springer.